Welcome to..... The South Oldham Lions Club
Serving South Oldham - Crestwood and Pewee Valley Area For Over 65 Years!
Welcome To Our Website
The South Oldham Lions Club (SOLC) was chartered on March 25,1948 as a 501(c)4 non-profit organization as a part of International Association of Lions Clubs.
The South Oldham Lions Club Foundation, Inc. was approved on January 31, 2013 by determination of the IRS as a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. This foundation was formed to receive funds that would enable the donor to claim as a charitable donation for tax purposes.
The History of the South Oldham Lions Club was written by Lion Milton Carl Stoess for the 40th Anniversary celebration which was held May 20, 1988 at the South Oldham Middle School in Crestwood, Ky.
The South Oldham Lions Club was chartered March 25, 1948 with 32 charter members, three of the charter members served more than 60 years.
The forerunner of the South Oldham Lions Club was the South Oldham Community Association which was responsible for the construction of the Crestwood Auditorium – Gymnasium on the present Crestwood elementary School campus. In 1946 the enrollment of the Crestwood School was eighty pupils in High School and 315 in the Elementary grades in a school, originally designed for 200 pupils. The PTA asked the men of the communities of South Oldham to see what they could do about the situation. This resulted in the formation of the South Oldham Community Association.
Through the work of this organization, the resources of the community were challenged, funds were raised, and the Auditorium-Gymnasium was build. It was dedication February 76, 1949. The Building was the result of a people believing and working for an ideal.
The formation of the South Oldham Lions Club came from the nucleus of this endeavor. The same spirit of the community betterment, of community cooperation, and dedication to an ideal has carried on with the Lions Club.
This spirit of South Oldham prompted the Lions Club to provide leadership and funds for the establishment of the “South Oldham Fire Department; “Another Lions Club project.”
Later when the need was shown for a Rescue Squad, the Club rose to meet that need with a fund raising drive for the purchase of a Rescue Truck and the formation of the one of the first Rescue Squads in Kentucky. The Club provided the operating funds for this program for many years, later turning it over to the South Oldham Fire Department.
From this effort, a much needed and very efficient system of emergency medical service has spread over all of Oldham County; “Another Lions Club project.”
One of the great needs of the Community was a public water system. In the early 60’s the South Oldham Lions Club sponsored the Oldham County Water District and provided the money. The Lions Club was instrumental in the formation of the Oldham County Water District #1 that brought a public water system to South Oldham. The Club provided the “start up” funding and the manpower for signing up the needed number of customers to make the project feasible. We enrolled the initial 600 customers needed to make this a reality. When the system was completed every person who signed up for water was provided service; “Another Lions Club project”.
When the need for a sidewalk became apparent for the safety and convenience of our people, The South Oldham Club came up with the idea of building the Pewee Valley/Crestwood Sidewalk. The South Oldham Lions once again met the challenge. The Club enlisted the financial support of the community, and the assistance of the state highway department, the county works department and labor from the prison. It took about ten years to bring the sidewalk idea to completion. Again the dedication to a vision, and the spirit of South Oldham working together provided a needed facility to the community; “Another Lions Club project.”
After the South Oldham Library was built and operating, it became apparent that there was a need for additional books in the Library. When the South Oldham Branch of the Oldham County Library opened, the Lions Club initiated a community wide “Bucks for Books” Campaign. This resulted in the raising of over $6,000.00 for new books for the children of the community, in addition, to several thousands of dollars of new books for the Library, "Another Lions Club Project.”
In addition to these major projects, the Club has throughout these 42 years, provided eye care and glasses for many people, promoted safety programs, sports activities, educational programs, contributed funds to other community activities, and has always been a leader in promoting improvements in South Oldham.
Each year members of the South Oldham Lions Club join members of other clubs giving eye screening at the annual Kentucky State Fair. The Club has for its better that 55 years provided eye care and glasses for many people, being a major contributor to the Kentucky Lions Eye Foundation, and the new Lions Camp Crescendo for handicapped children.
We continue to promote safety programs, sponsor numerous sports teams, and educational programs; such as "Dollars For Scholars". We have contributed funds to other community projects such as Host House, Big Brother/Big Sister and others. The Club has always been a leader in promoting improvements in the South Oldham area. The spirit of South Oldham is reflected in the history of the South Oldham Lions Club. May this club continue to serve the needs of South Oldham.
A recent project of the South Oldham Lions Club was to provide funding for the placement of Automated Electronic Defibrillators in the South Oldham High and Middle schools.
The South Oldham Lions Club has been recognized by Senator Ernie Harris and the Commonwealth of Kentucky Senate for the long history of community services upon the event of their 60th anniversary. Click on link to see the Commonwealth of Kentucky Senate document.
The South Oldham Lions Club has over the years sponsored and supported the Mets team with the South Oldham Little League. Most recently, an early 2009 proposal was initiated by Lion Tom Price and approved by the South Oldham Lions Club to give greater support to the many young families and children who are a part of the South Oldham Little League. His efforts and our increased involvement has developed into a renewed commitment to the SOLL which has prompted our club to make a considerable financial contribution for the new “Multi-purpose” building at Peggy Baker Park where many ball games are played each year. This building will be called “The Lions Den”. It is another example of our dedication to give financial support for a needed facility in our community, especially for these young families and their children who are the future of our county and our club. In 2010 the SOLC continued our support of the SOLL by sponsoring 8 teams at Peggy Baker Park.
Lions Clubs International History
The International Association of Lions Clubs began as the dream of Chicago businessman Melvin Jones. He believed that local business clubs should expand their horizons from purely professional concerns to the betterment of their communities and the world at large.
Jones' group, the Business Circle of Chicago, agreed. After contacting similar groups around the United States, an organizational meeting was held on June 7, 1917 in Chicago, Illinois, USA. The new group took the name of one of the invited groups, the "Association of Lions Clubs," and a national convention was held in Dallas, Texas, USA in October of that year. A constitution, by-laws, objects and code of ethics were approved.
Among the objects adopted in those early years was one that read, "No club shall hold out the financial betterment of its members as its object." This call for unselfish service to others remains one of the association's main tenets.
Just three years after its formation, the association became international when the first club in Canada was established in 1920. Major international expansion continued as clubs were established, particularly throughout Europe, Asia and Africa during the 1950s and '60s.
In 1925, Helen Keller addressed the Lions international convention in Cedar Point, Ohio, USA. She challenged Lions to become "knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness." From this time, Lions clubs have been actively involved in service to the blind and visually impaired.
Broadening its international role, Lions Clubs International helped the United Nations form the Non-Governmental Organizations sections in 1945 and continues to hold consultative status with the U.N.
In 1990, Lions launched its most aggressive sight preservation effort, SightFirst. The US $143.5 million program strives to rid the world of preventable and reversible blindness by supporting desperately needed health care services.
In addition to sight programs, Lions Clubs International is committed to providing services for youth. Lions clubs also work to improve the environment, build homes for the disabled, support diabetes education, conduct hearing programs and, through their foundation, provide disaster relief around the world.
Lions Clubs International has grown to include 1.35 million men and women in 46,000 clubs located in 207 countries and geographic areas.
Don't miss the next
Don't miss the next Crestwood Festival!!!